Sunday, May 18, 2014

Can't Breathe

"Doctor...why is it...suddenly so hard...to breath?"

"Well, we just took your chest tube out because it looked like your collapsed lung was resolved, but it looks like your lung is collapsing again. We'd like you to sign the consent form so we can put the chest tube back in."

"But it hurt...so bad last time...and it was so...uncomfortable having it in."

"We can give you some shots to make the pain better, but I don't it isn't comfortable having a tube in your chest."

"Can't you...knock me out?"

"There's no time to take you to the operating room. This is something you'll need right now."

"It was...so painful...Can I think...about it?"

"Yes, it is your choice. But right now your lung is collapsing. It is putting pressure on your heart so your heart can't beat right. Your face is already swelling up from the blood backing up. If you choose not to do this you will die today."

"Just...let me...think...about...it."

"Okay. I'll be right outside the door. Nurse, go get the crash cart."

(5 minutes pass)

"Doc...tor. Okay, I...can't breath...Knock...me...out?"

"There's no time. You need this now. Will you sign the consent form?"

"Okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment