Sunday, August 26, 2012

Money and Thievery

The second year of medical school is under way and the first course on the lineup is endocrinology which covers the glands: the pituitary on the brain, the adrenals on top of the kidneys, the gonads, the thyroid, and pancreas. The course covers, in essence, how one part of the body releases chemicals and how those chemicals affect another part of the body as well as what happens when things go wrong with too much or too little of the hormone. The course has been pretty easy, but that makes for higher test averages and we all know that I can only be satisfied if the number of people beneath me is large enough.

Administration projected a cost of living for second year that gives those relying solely on loans about five thousand dollars less than last year. I have heard rumbles in the ranks. Some of my favorite include:

"Well, I know we're poor, but I don't want to look like I'm poor."

Them: "I guess we're not going to be able to afford food."
Me: "You are on food stamps; you don't ever pay for your food."
Them: "Yeah, well, I guess we won't be able to eat out nearly as much."

"I guess my parents are just going to have to give me more money to cover rent. They are already sacrificing to give me the money they do."

Giving up a fourth of your yearly income is difficult and the difficulty has manifested itself in some interesting ways. The school recently contracted with the maker of Pathoma, a pathology and USMLE Step 1 review, for offering the program for about eighty dollars instead of the normal one hundred. The high recommendations of other students created a demand for acquiring the program illegally for free. Unfortunately, the only people I know for sure that have it are the people I talk to the most - my close, LDS, temple recommend-holding friends. The officer training says, "Tolerating unethical or illegal behavior makes you equally guilty."

Doing what I know is right means reporting my friends to administration, come what may. More of the officer training says, "Lord, when I am wrong, make me willing to change; when I am right, make me easy to live with. So strengthen me that the power of my example will far exceed the authority of my rank." (Pauline H. Peters) 

1 comment:

  1. If I had to report everyone who used pirated books or review material, I'm not sure what I would do. It's just too many people. And I don't think most of them even think it's wrong. I didn't realize you were also LDS. The one student I really talk to a lot is also LDS, and luckily both of us don't see the need to pirate.

    I will be curious what you do. If you feel you must report them, I think the ethical thing to do is talk to them first. Keep us posted!

    Also, that's an interesting situation about not having enough loan money to get by. If you can show need, my school is really good at throwing loan money at you. I didn't realize that wasn't the case everywhere.

    ReplyDelete