Sunday, March 4, 2012

Large Numbers and Fibonacci

Blood and Lymph is officially over. Studying for the final was a chore and the test stressed different aspects than the first test did. The first test required being able to identify a disease based on the clinical presentation and blood smear and the treatment for moderate and severe disease stages, but the second test asked more about details of the disease process like what is the life expectancy for Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia at an intermediate stage. I haven't seen the low side of average for a while and it doesn't feel very good. I like large numbers beneath me.

However, the system we are in now is Neuroscience which happens to be what my undergraduate degree was in. I do love the brain, but already I am missing Dr. B and Dr. S. They were a pair of fantastic teachers; you've gotta be amazing if you can take a dry subject like neuroanatomy which requires naming various structures in cross sections or the microcircuitry of the hippocampus and keep it engaging and interesting. I don't remember everything they taught, but I'm light-years ahead of those trying this out for the first time.

I call that the Law of Second Exposure - even if you believe you don't remember anything from a class you took years before, the process of relearning the material is simplified by knowing what to look for, what is important, and the way in which questions can be asked. This has proven true many times for me: the electromagnetism portion of the calculus-based physics class I took in high school and got a C in wasn't accepted as college credit where I retook the class and got an A, the first time I took first semester organic chemistry I got a B- and the second time I got an A, and the fourth year of marriage was a whole lot easier than the first three.

This has nothing to do with anything except that I found it way more interesting than the boring lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment