Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thailand and a Didactical Satire

We have finished all the lectures for the Blood and Lymph course and we take the last test on Tuesday. I only did average on the test we took this last Tuesday which put me at an 85%. One of the professors mentioned that in all his years with patients, not a single one had ever asked what grades he got. I made a mental note to grill one at my next physical. I would love to say, "I so totally owned your anatomy grade!" and then pray that he doesn't pimp me on anything. Perhaps that can be the subject the conversation with the doctor the next time S goes into labor.

Just so you know, pimping in medical school jargon refers to professors or attending physicians repeatedly peppering students with relevant or arcane queries, often with the intention to embarrass. The first time I heard the term, I had a vague sense that med student trafficking to Thailand was on the rise. Proponents of the practice say that it "strengthens the spine," and is a "nonthreatening way to start dialogue." Opponents call it abuse and that it's use reflects the insecurity of senior physicians to show vulnerable students who is boss.

The only teacher we've had that has done it to us so far was so far over the top that it was comical. After guesses that I gave, I got told to do the honorable thing and hang myself, fall on my sword, drink poison, etc. I thought it was kind of funny, but I'll suspend further judgement until years three and four when I expect it to begin in earnest during rotations.

In the meantime, I found the following video hilariously accurate in portraying a med school lecture. Every single thing has happened too many times to count.


No comments:

Post a Comment