Sunday, January 8, 2012

Learning Something from Everything

This week we started Introduction to Disease, Infection, and Therapeutics (IDIT).  This course covers concepts in microbiology, pharmacology, and immunity.  I took an introductory microbiology class in undergrad, but that's really the only exposure I've had to some of this information.  For MCBM, I'd taken biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology.  Not only had I taken those courses, but those principles were taught in almost every undergrad class I had.  We learned biochemistry in endocrinology and neuroscience.  We learned genetics and molecular biology in cell biology.  We learned cell biology in organic chemistry.  Then we learned everything all over again in physiology.  The concepts in MCBM were not new, so this is the first time in med school that I'm learning material for the first time and that's an uneasy feeling.

Luckily, The Princess Bride taught me everything I need to know about studying effectively.  "All I have to do is divine from what I know of you..."

All I have to do is divine from what I know of you...
Realizing how well you know what you do know is an important skill in knowing what to study.  For various reasons some people don't know what they don't know - the teacher could be unclear on the objectives, the student could be unfocused or trying unsuccessfully to sift relevant from irrelevant.  Fortunately, I have avoided the academic mire that the following individual has found himself in.


N is sleeping well at night.  In fact, she's only awake for about 5 minutes a day.  Somehow she even does most of her eating asleep.  C is the perennial sleepless problem.  She arises at 3 am, turns into the creature of elbows and knees, and expects to share someone's bed.  "I wanna sleep mamma's bed!"  I put her back down at 3:30, 4:00, 5:00 and then at 6:00 am she decides she is ready start the day.  "I wan' bekfast. Wanna pay my toys, Daddy? Wan' some water, Daddy."  She's been doing this since September, but I'm sure she'll grow out of it soon.  If not, I might need to slip some benadryl in her water.

No comments:

Post a Comment