Sunday, July 31, 2011

First Week in the Sticks

I flew back from the mother campus on Saturday and C has been orbiting me ever since.  She becomes so distressed every time I leave the room and runs through my legs just to ensure I haven't left her again.  Shelli packed almost everything the week before and by Wednesday morning we were cleaned up, packed up, and ready to move out.
C orbiting me includes wanting to participate in all my activities including preparing for church.


We crossed it!  I spent the rest of the trip puzzling out how traveling from west/east this could possibly have happened.
We finally rolled in on Wednesday night at about 9:00 pm local time.  There was an accident around the the interchange that put us back about an hour and a half, but Chiara was a champion traveler the entire time.

Thursday the students were required to attend orientation at the school.  The building is impressive and they have spared no expense.  They put in a 'bio-wall' which is a vertical wall of plants that is linked to the HVAC system used to clean the air.  But I believe that the most reliable measuring stick for a great facility which truly panders to its patrons is the state of the bathrooms.  My scale includes points for toilet paper, cleanliness, and graffiti (absence of).  An establishment can feign kindness, respect, and even take money with alacrity, but the state of the bathrooms tells how much they value my patronage.

These are nifty air blades that actually dry your hands in less than five seconds without touching anything.
The white coat ceremony and convocation was better that I thought it would be.  My interest in ceremonies and rituals is generally more feigned than real, but the opening of a new medical school attracts some very special people and I even put my inclination to celebrate privately on hold in response.  The mayor of the city came, as did the governor, a member of the state senate, last year's president of the American Osteopathic Association, and almost the entire population of the city.  Everyone has been so welcoming.

During the ceremony, all the students went up to the stage and stated their name and where they were from.  When one of the students said they were from Coos Bay, Oregon, I was very tempted to stand up and shout out, "I run this church for loggers!"



In church on Sunday I learned that five other classmates and their wives are in our ward.  There were about 10 kids in the nursery which was more than I expected given that the demographics of the ward were generally older.  Speaking of older, the high priest group leader asked me during my introduction in Priesthood meeting if I were a high priest.  This was the latest question in a two-year progression of deplorably insouciant inquiries about my age.  The first came from Heinrich, a friend from college, who when introduced to Lance, 7 years my senior, asked which of us was older.  More recently, Pollock, when introduced to Dad, 35 years my senior, asked which of us was older.  In this context, the normally innocuous question from the high priest group leader brought out my retort, "I don't have enough grandkids or know enough about retirement to be a high priest." :)


I realize I don't have as much hair as I did when I was 10, but I still have color in what's left.

1 comment:

  1. Lee's the new High Priest Group leader in our ward and he keeps getting the opposite "How old ARE you?!" like we're still pre-pubescent. :)

    ReplyDelete