Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fire

The test on Monday went pretty well.  I wound up with a 92 which is respectable.  I woke up at 4:00 am on Monday morning to study for it, and crashed about three hours later.  Luckily, my alarm that I set for 8:00 gave me enough to time to shower, eat, and get to the testing room by 9:00.  The first portion of the test was written for conceptual, theoretical, muscle naming, etc.  The practical exam was much like the first, but with three times the treatments possible to be tested.  I was supposed to diagnose the dysfunction I suspected during the structural screening portion.  Thankfully, I even diagnosed correctly, but in my haste I treated the dysfunction as though it were torqued to the right instead of the left which if I had done in a clinic would have made the problem worse.  The way the exam was graded, I only missed two points for incorrect placement instead of all twenty points for the wrong treatment.

Hopefully, there won't be too many more days like that.  It was mostly an experiment to see how well I could handle getting up early to study.  The problem wasn't the early part, it was the lack of sleep preceding that.  Somehow, my mind couldn't shut down at 8 pm with the same rapidity it does at 10:30 or 11:00.  And all that happened was I spent the night dozing in and out of consciousness trying to force my body and mind to shut off.

After the test, we began learning high velocity low amplitude treatments which is basically glorified bone cracking.  It's not dangerous, but the positions required for correct results are often uncomfortable for a few seconds.  I've gotta admit that hearing ribs pop back into place for the first time because I did everything correctly made me feel like the first man must have felt who could make fire on command.  I wanted to stand up on the table, pound my chest, and throw my challenge to the world, "I am Prometheus and I make fire!"  It is so satisfying to assist in the healing process.

We finished HVLA today and started counterstrain techniques.  I still struggle with the theory behind it, but had to admit that even my first attempt was successful at alleviating pain in my partners neck.  The idea is that at the sensitive counterstrain points (we learned about thirty today but there are probably close to six hundred) muscles and the nerves that innervate them are firing too much and to decrease the firing rate, we put that point where it is most at ease.  Unfortunately, every point has its own position of ease so  not only do we get to memorize where the points are, but also the correct position for that segment.

Also, there was a SWAT drill on campus today so we had to come to class early to avoid the lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment