Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Is this sustainable?

My classmates and I had an epic day of NINE hours of lecture.  Can you imagine how much we retained?  Not much which is why we were supposed to study for another three hours after that before next class.  I was so tired that I did what I could and went to bed around 9:00 pm.  Fortunately, I woke up around 5:30 am and had a few hours to decide how to fill my time until class at 8:30.  For the first time in a few months, I went running.  It felt like two miles but could have been more like 2.5.

One of the most influential books I've ever read was called The Power of Full Engagement.  The book was written by a company that helped Olympic-grade athletes prepare for their big events.  When business executives came to them to ask their help training employees and team members, they discovered a void in the market and capitalized.  The athletes were training for the one shot at the Super Bowl, or the one shot at the gold metal, etc, and couldn't be caught off guard for the three or five minutes or three hours of competition. These executives, however, couldn't have a bad minute let alone a bad day without costing the company millions of dollars for choosing the name irectangle  instead of ipad.

Among other things, the book discusses the importance of physical exercise and eating habits especially for foods high in the glycemic index to avoid a 'stone-walled' feeling.  Not surprisingly, the book doesn't add much knowledge to what is already known about staying healthy, but in context it presents the research and case studies in such a way to highlight the consequences both of good and bad health habits.  The result of reading the book on me was to attempt a healthy lifestyle during medical school which is notorious for burnouts and plateaus.  And with that, my alarm calls me to start another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment